Thursday, August 19, 2010

Culture Assimilation Fails/Wins

I sat next to an older male on the international flight from Detroit to Amsterdam who was going to Libya, a primarily Muslim country. He goes to and from Libya once a month for work. We conversed about flying, current events, and other small talk. After discussing the New York mosque controversy, he said something that particularly stuck me, which I will try and keep in mind during my travels here: "Sure, they (in reference to Muslims, but applies universally) might seem different, but they're people just like you and me. Everyone tries to get a bit of education they need to be able to go out and feed their families."

I landed in Austria, exited the plane and went to the window to exchange my cash for Euros. Do not do this at an airport, as I have learned. I was heavily charged and the exchange rate was increased as well. If you're traveling, ask your bank if you can exchange money stateside for little to no fees. I waited near the luggage belt for an hour, after having only received one of my two pieces of luggage. I went to a window that I thought was lost and found and attempted to inquire about my missing luggage. "Ist das alles gepรคck von Amsterdam? (Is that all the luggage from Amsterdam?)" And the woman at the window proceeded to yell at me in German! None of which I understood! So I sheepishly walked away and found another person (to whom I spoke English this time) who was able to direct me to where I could fill out a claim and all that fun stuff. Airport workers in Europe are able to get just as angry as ones in the US. Different, yet the same.

I took a bus to a station near a hostel where my fellow DU students were already staying, and had a difficult time trying to orient myself. The street signs are kind of hidden, mounted on buildings. At this point I felt like I wanted to drop it all and go home. Finally I arrived at the hostel and saw familiar faces.

While we're on the subject of hostels, contrary to what Hollywood might have you think, hostels are fun places that are quite safe. They are cheap, and have plenty of beds. If you're traveling in a group, your belongings can be locked away in your room. If you're traveling alone and end up in a room with 3-5 strangers, most of the time you have access to a locker. David and I hung out at the hostel bar that evening and met an English girl and her brother, with whom we had a lengthy conversation about things from football to geopolitics. During a discussion of the latter, we learned from him the British words for electricians and brick layers: Sparkys and Brickys.

In my several attempts of ordering food with my friends, often I would try and order in German, only to receive a response in English. Apparently I don't blend in as much as I thought I did. Maybe this will come with time. However, as uncomfortable as it may be, trying to order from someone who does not speak any English actually ends up being kind of fun. The food has been quite good so far. Bread is especially tasty. Lagers and pilsners are the most prevalent kind of beer, like they are in the US, but they are much more flavorful here. Milk is not pasturized, which gives a very different taste to which some people do not react well, but I haven't had any issues so far.

Anyway, all is well. I'm at a hostel in Mariazell (3 hours west of Vienna) for orientation weekend with all the IES students. More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment