Friday, October 15, 2010

David, now with more Updating Action!

Its impressive, having a love-hate relationship with a city, it’s a lot like reliving that summer between college and high school. Half the time you want to get the summer over with, and the other half you spend wondering where summer went. The problem is the impending change. See, after being here for the period of time I have been, I have started to get use to things. For instance, an actual public transit system. Note RTD: Even though you guys are rated best in America for public transit, you guy suck hardcore. The general rule of thumb is that it will take you 20-25 minutes to go from point a in the city to point b. Which—considering this city is huge and mangled in traffic most of time—is impressive. It also means that you cannot wake up 5 minutes before class and still make it to 8 A. M music theory on time. Needless to say, I am glad I have one 9 A.M class.

I am also getting use to the fact that I really cannot communicate with many people randomly. Most of my meetings with Austrian have been predetermined, planned out, meetings. Granted I have met a few Austrians outside of that, but that’s only after we leave the bar and its 2 A.M. The only real Austrians I ever come in contact with are my R.A for my apartment, and my language partner. Both of which are rather cool individuals themselves, but a bit hard to read sometimes. I have learned that body language is not as universal as I once assumed, and this holds really true in a place like Austria. I cannot tell if the people are more reserved or more laid back than most Americans.

This brings me to my next point. I feel the biggest problem with me studying abroad at this juncture is the fact that I am trapped in an American bubble. I take classes with Americans, I speak a tremendous amount of English. I live with Americans. It really is like I am in America east. Which is good, I guess. The transition hasn’t been as hard as I would assume. But I feel like I am missing out. More on that later

The great thing about Vienna, is the shear amount of history in the city. I have seen works by most of the 1850-1930’s great painters, and I have heard the Vienna Phil live You really cannot argue with that.

However, its been a traumatic experience to be, frankly, trapped in a city like Vienna. As lame as it sounds, I really miss the fact that on a clear day I can see Longs peak from my professors office. I can see the Aspens change to gold. I can tell when we are moving seasons. Being in a city, fall only means colder temperatures and a shorter day. I honestly miss the beauty of moving into my favorite season. I miss the beauty of being outside.

It really is like a vacation that is now starting to last a bit too long. I don’t feel like I will ever fully integrate into this culture because of the Language. I honestly never have appreciated the ability to communicate with most people before. Yes, most Austrians do speak English, but they usually don’t want to have much to do with you after switching to English.

The one thing I do appreciate about the culture of Europe is the fact that they move much slower in their day to day lives. They seem less concerned with the—frankly bullshit—problems we Americans make for ourselves. Most of their young people are expected to not be a productive member of society until they are 26. In the U.S.A you are expected to have a masters by 22 and a career by 23. I really hope that I can take this relaxed approach to life when I go back home.

To congratulate my readers for making it this far in this, rather non-coherent, blog post. I will now attempt to describe the awkwardness that is flirting with an Austrian. Flirting is hard enough in America, but at least I understand the rules and can get a general gist of what is going on. In Austria, you might as well be in junior high again. . .yeah, its that bad. The biggest problem with flirting with Austrians is that they don’t really know what’s going on, more specifically the double meaning of most words and actions. Their seemingly witty banter (in English) is usually a result of:

a.) 1.)One too many beers

b.) 2.)Not really knowing the ramifications of saying/doing certain things. (or knowing, but not really acting on them)

This is true in both genders (not that I have hit on them, but from conversations with women that’s what I can tell). They are verbally very forward, but physically. . .whish washy. . .Honestly that is the best way I can describe it. Which will, in all likelihood, leave you with some rather awkward moments. It is like you are playing a game that looks a lot like baseball, has the same players, the same idea as baseball, and looks a lot like baseball, but as soon as you go to bat everyone starts screaming and suddenly the ump calls you out and your Austrian stops talking with you. (and moves tables if you are at a bar). Which also means that you really cannot win, or break even in Austro-flirting baseball, and you never get to touch home plate. (At this point in the reading, most people will start to understand why I used baseball as a description, considering I just did). Hell, you would even just like to make a base everyone and a while. And while most of my roommates have a decent earn run average, I am batting .000 (too much information yet?). I rather like American baseball, and I am looking forward to getting back to the rules I know?

Anyways, bis Später!

David


P.S For making it this far, you get a picture of a kitten. Awwww



1 comment:

  1. David, My friend.. I will be glad when you get back to the grand USA. I'm sorry that it's so hard to meet people. Is the beer and food good? Steve and I will have to have you over for a good dinner and conversation. Plus my friend with the bakery is getting pretty creative.
    Keep your chin up and tell Ben Hello.
    Miss you,
    Susan
    P.S. I like the kitten

    ReplyDelete